Monday, 24 April 2017

Progress on the allotment


Since taking on the allotment in November progress has been slow but steady. The landowner had said that he would plough it for me when it dried up a bit. So I waited and waited and by early March I thought I’m just going to have to do it myself.

The problem with the site is the amount of rabbits that are in the neighbouring fields and hedgerows; each individual plot needs to be fenced off and rabbit proofed. Not that I’m complaining too much, having an allotment amongst open countryside is an absolute joy. It’s a real pleasure just to sit and watch nature, although I’ve not had too much of chance to do so yet due to the copious amount of digging that has been required.

By fencing the plot I was accepting that the tractor wouldn’t be able to get in and I’d have to dig it all by hand. I waited as long as I could but eventually conceded defeat and set to work with the fork and spade. I was eager to get some broad beans and early potatoes in, some strawberries plants that I had put in a few weeks earlier had been immediately dug up by the rabbits so protection was my top priority.



I’ve now cleared almost all of one side of the plot and am now working my way back up the other. Being well over halfway I can start to see the light at the end of tunnel. The beds are starting to take shape and what was once just a picture in my head is becoming a reality.


As with all projects the plan is changing all the time. Seeing a greenhouse on eBay for £50 I just couldn’t resist. If you can imagine trying to build the worlds most complicated Meccano set without any instructions, you’ll be somewhere near the difficulty level involved in dismantling and rebuilding this greenhouse. Worth it now that it is finally done but I spent days trying to work out how this thing went back together.


Still, we're getting there. A few more full days spent digging and hopefully it will be time to sit down and enjoy it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment